Spring & Summer is that time of the year for naturals to adorn their hair with various “Protective Styles”. Of course the most popular go to styles are Braids & Twists. In addition, Faux Locs, Goddess Locs, Ghana Braids as well as Crochet Braids has made their presence known. All things considered you make maintain your hair/scalp while wearing these different forms of “Protective Styles”. Two weeks from now I will have my first “Protective Style” installed for the Spring/Summer months. Therefore I wanted to share some very helpful tips of caring for your hair while rocking your “Protective Style”:
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Don’t Leave Your Protective Style In No Longer Than 4-6 Weeks
- Avoid Tight Pulling That Comes From Wearing Constant Updo’s
- Redo Your Edges
- Wash Braids Once Every 2 Weeks
- Moisturize Your Hair/Scalp
- Protect Your Hair At Night W/Satin (Scarves, Bonnets or Pillowcases)
Above are my go-to products I use to keep my hair looking shiny & moisturized. African Royal Braid Sheen Spray is my holy grail for the first couple days of a fresh “Protective Style”. The Tea Tree Oil inside helps soothe tightness & itching that consequently I experience within the first few days. Not to mention Jamaican Black Castor Oil is great for keeping my hair moisturizes and smelling great. You can find these products in your local beauty supply store as well as Sally Beauty Supply.
Two top natural hair brands Cantu & Taliah Waajid had extended their products by adding new hair care lines just for “Protective Style” maintenance. Cantu developed 3 new products: Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse, Root Relief & Dry Cowash packed with Tea Tree Oil & Peppermint Oil.
Taliah Waajid created “Protective Styles” infused with Bamboo, Basil, & Biotin to strengthen, condition & repair promoting healthy hair growth. Here is the list of the 7 products within this new line:
- Hairline Help 2-in-1 Plus Bamboo & Biotin Edge Growth
- Gro Hair Gro Bamboo Coconut Milk Oil
- Healthy Hair Under There Bamboo Avocado & Peppermint Conditioning Restoring Serum
- Intensive Moisture Bamboo & Coconut Milk Strengthening Leave-In Conditioner
- Refresh So Clean Bamboo Avocado & Peppermint Dry Gel Shampoo
- Thick & Full Bamboo Coconut Milk Moisturizing Mint Shampoo
- Ditch The Itch Bamboo Basil Peppermint Anti-Itch Serum
As shown above are some of my helpful tips as well as product suggestions that will be beneficial for maintaining your hair while rocking “Protective Styles” during the Spring/Summer months to come.